Are YOU at risk for Diabetes or Prediabetes?
The 5 facts you should know and do to protect yourself
Diabetes is a condition that is increasingly prevalent and completely preventable and reversible.
- Type II diabetes accounts for 90-95% of the cases of diabetes in this country.
- Approximately 10% of the population has diabetes and 33% have prediabetes.
- In 1960, only about 1% of our population had diabetes. Wow, from 1% to 10%!
- 5% of people with Diabetes are overweight and 41% get less than 10 minutes of vigorous exercise per week.
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the U.S. and a diabetic can expect to pay an average of $13,700 per year because of their disease.
Diabetes and Prediabetes is a huge problem and so many Americans are affected by this dreaded condition. This should be a huge wake up call to all Americans and you should know your numbers and facts when it comes to Pre-or Full blown Diabetes.
Here are 5 things that you need to know and do if your suspect you or a loved one has (Pre) Diabetes:
- Know your A1c. Your A1c is a much better indicator of whether you have pre-or full blown diabetes than your blood glucose. A1C is an indication of the past 3 months of your blood sugar, where blood glucose is an indication of your past 12 hours. If your A1c is greater than 5.7, your prediabetic and if your A1c is greater than 6.5, you’re a full blown diabetic
- Know the risk factors. As you age, your chance of Diabetes goes up significantly. Women develop diabetes 50% more often than men. African Americans, Hispanics, and Asian Americans are at higher risk.
- Do you have Metabolic Syndrome? The following 5 factors make up Metabolic Syndrome and if you have it, you are at very high risk for Diabetes. If your blood pressure is 130/85 or greater. If your fasting Triglycerides are over 150. If your fasting blood glucose is over 100. If your fasting HDL’s are under 40 (men) or 50 (women) and finally, if your waist circumference is over 40 inches (men) and 35 inches (women), measured at the widest part of your waist. If you have 3 of these, you’re in Metabolic syndrome.
- Change your diet and choose meals that are high in protein, fiber and healthy fats. High-protein foods include wild salmon, grass-fed beef and free-range eggs. fiber include berries, figs, peas, Brussels sprouts, acorn squash, beans, flax seeds and quinoa. These foods support detoxification and help you maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Healthy fats, like coconut oil and avocados, benefit your blood glucose levels and help you reverse prediabetes symptoms.
- The following nutrients are critical: Chromium, Magnesium, Cinnamon, CoQ10 and Ginseng. Metagenics product “Ultra-Glucose Control” has these and is formulated to help prevent and treat the impact of (pre) Diabetes.
You can’t change that which you are unaware of and this is something that we all need to be aware of. Pre-or full blown diabetes is not only a killer in and of itself, but it sets the table for other killers such as heart disease and cancer. Please share this with someone you know or love who is struggling with blood sugar issues, it could save their life!
Wellness Solution Centers